Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj was one of the greatest and bravest rulers of India, The founder of the Maratha Kingdom and considered to be one of the sensible ruler of India.
Name: Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj
Date of Birth: February 19, 1630
Death: April 3, 1680
Parents: Shahaji Bhosale (Father) and Jijabai (Mother)
Successor: Chhatrapati Sambhaji Bhosale
Here Are Facts About Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj
1.His name Shivaji is not derived from Lord Shiva. In fact, he was named after a regional Goddess Shivai.
2. Shivaji Maharaj knew that to protect India from foreign invaders, a naval fleet was required.
He established a strong navy and forts for the first time in the India at the coastline to defend the Konkan side of Maharashtra.
3. Shivaji Maharaj was a secular ruler.
Shivaji Maharaj supported the religious beliefs of all religions. He had numerous Muslim soldiers in his army.
He gave protection to Mosques. If a copy of Quran was found while his mission, it was handed over to their Muslim soldiers respectfully.
4. Shivaji Maharaj always stood for the honor of women and didn’t encourage capturing women, instead respected and protected them.
Anyone under his rule caught violating woman’s rights was severely punished.
His troopers were sent with strict instructions as to not harm a single woman if they raided villages or other places.
5.Shivaji Maharaj was widely known for his guerrilla warfare tactics. He knew the importance of a good army and war strategies.
6. Shivaji Maharaj converted his army of 2,000 men into 10,000 soldiers. Shahaji Bhosale (Father of Shivaji Maharaj) had only 2,000 soldiers, which he converted to 10,000.
7. Shivaji maharaj defeated Afzal Khan in a one-on-one battle. Afzal Khan was a veteran general and superior to Shivaji in size & strength.
8. Shivaji Maharaj never encourage his troops to be martyred in the battle. Instead, he always asked them to take a step back and regroup.
9. Shivaji Maharaj was extremely caring towards the common people and did not favor raids on homes and religious places.
10. Shivaji Maharaj captured his first fort (Torna Fort) at the age of 16.